Monday, January 19, 2009

Thoughts On The Future

Wow! I have been gone for a while. I have been in a funk and couldn't really think what to post about or anything else. Hopefully that will change soon. We have been busy. Jeff is awaiting news of the lay-offs with a little optimism and I am much more worried. Hopefully they look at his performance and not his longevity with the company to make the decision. I think the first announcement will be on or around February 2nd so we still have some time to go before we will know anything. Also Jeff is starting to do a little side work for a company. Depending on how the lay-off turns out, it might become his full time gig. We will see. We are starting to make some cut backs little by little. We started with Netflix. We put our membership on hold for 90 days and can cancel or change that any time. Also we are thinking cable might go. It really is a luxury and definitely not a necessity. My cell phone might become his cell phone since I never really use mine and we could cancel his. Also our years supply has grown quite a bit in the last six months or so which is a great comfort. I started teaching again last week and it has been okay so far. I am glad I am able to contribute in troubled times. The kids are great. They really get along and play well. Bronson loves it when the girls come home every day. The girls are learning so much and growing up too fast (most of the time).
My thoughts recently have been very overwhelming. I know that these economically troubled times will be an opportunity to grow and become more centered on what's important. I want that. Yet I look at our society and think how challenging it is going to be to get through it. My grandparents were teenagers during the depression and the answers for them were (in my observation) so much more correct. They went without and sacrificed and learned to get by while our generation just wants to borrow and pretend there is no problem. I hope our little family can be strong and survive by holding to our beliefs and living in the world but not of it.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

hey, mo. i hope jeff survives the layoffs, i hope golden does, too. he's in the environmental dept here as a tech. so he's always working, but still worries. hopefully if jeff gets laid off, you wont have to move. :( glad you're in safford, where there's a little bit of work to be had. thinking of you!

Kimmy said...

i know how youre feeling. we feel it a lot here too. since we don't have 2 incomes now, it's been super hard, and with the debt we have too, it's been harder. it drives me crazy and stresses me out. but i know that there are lots of people we can ask for for help, and that's comforting too. we're say extra prayers that jeffy won't get laid off, and everything will be ok. glad to know that i am not the only one stressing too. love ya!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys. Hope Kaitlyn is doing well with the hormones. bless her heart and you guys for having to give it to her. Tim's special duty job at Wexner's got cut.That was a 1000.00 a month-gone. Thankfully, we are able to make the adjustments.He's been working overtime like a dog though to try to make it up. So, I see him even less. Netflix is going to be our 1st thing to go too. But Obama's gonna save us all!! Right? LOL!! Did anyone else notice that at the inauguration, they announced George Walker Bush, but Barack H. Obama? We are sooo screwed!!

The Waits Gate said...

It is so scary to think of layoffs. We thought Sam might be cut because he's in the mortgage business and they were laying off after the WaMu merger. Luckily, they haven't really cut yet and he works for Chase. It's nice that you have a skill to contribute when you need it. I hope your wrists keep up.

Kandice and Rob said...

Well said! You guys will do fine no matter what. :)

raedene said...

Hey girl! We're right in the same boat with you... I hate shopping for groceries on such a limited budget! Thank goodness grandpa gives us all the meat we need! Hang in there! we love you!

Hatch's said...

great blog mommy.