Thursday, June 11, 2009

Book Club Hostess, That's Me

I was recently in charge of my ward's Book Club book-of-the-month. I picked Hands of My Father by Myron Uhlberg. It was actually the book suggested by someone else in the other book club I attend in my old ward! When she told us it was about a young boy growing up with deaf parents, I was intrigued and bought it as soon as I could.I was also in charge of our refreshments when we gathered back to discuss the book. This, for me, is a dreaded responsibility. I do not cook or bake very well and the thought of feeding other people something that should taste sweet and yummy stressed me out. However, I did find some fun looking recipes in magazines etc. and was curious to try them out. First I found this layered cake. But it was layered vertically, which totally freaked me out (in a good way). I got the recipe and tried it. It did not work. But I did end up using it as a regular layered (horizontal) cake which was very rich and tasty.

I also saw these Cheesecake Pops in a magazine and thought it didn't sound so hard. I know how to make cheesecake pretty well so I gave 'em a try. The magazine picture had white chocolate covering with sprinkles which made them look very pretty. I wanted the same look so I used white chocolate.
They didn't turn out looking like the ones in the magazine and for all that effort I would rather have, at least, tasted the real chocolate. Next time...if there is a next time that is.
Everyone loved the book and we are on to a new one for the next month...with someone else in charge thankfully!
Here is what else I have been reading lately:
H0me by Julie Andrews a memoir about her early upbringing.
The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer I read it in junior high or high school and thought it was good. So far I like it~again! It is in olde English; which is cool.
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen so far I have only read a couple pages and it is hard to get into. But I will persevere.
The Egg and I by Betty MacDonald I picked it up from my mom's house yesterday and have only read about half a chapter already but love it. It is funny! Its about a lady in the 40's-50's who follows her husband to Washington where his dream is to have a chicken farm. He loves it; she hates it!
All these links are random...but will give you an idea more about these books.
I am also interested in reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult (before seeing the new movie).

1 comments:

meghannamarie said...

YUMMY!!I need the recipe for those cheescake on a stick! Everything looked great! I hope everyone loved it!