Thursday, December 4, 2008

Birthday Summary!

Thank you to everyone who sent me well wishes and phone calls and emails on my long awaited birthday. I loved all of that. My favorite was my brother Danny who called and said, "Are you going to be able to handle waiting an whole other year until the next one?" That was funny! Thanks again!
Well, as for my birthday...it was okay. It actually wasn't that great which I told Jeff would be made up for. He got up early to go hunting which I knew was going to happen since he only had two days left to hunt. So I got up when I needed to to get the girls ready for school. But no one washed the dishes from the night before and so before I could feed them I had to wash the dishes. Then I had to make our bed (no big deal) in order to put the dryer load on it in order to put the washer load in the dryer and in order to wash the sheets that Madelyn had thrown up on the night before which Jeff discovered but did not tell me about nor did he do anything about washing them. That is gross and my house was smelling bad. So all before the kids got on the bus I had done far more than a girl should have to on her birthday. At 9:30 I had a primary presidency meeting to get ready for and at 12:00 a guy was coming to our house for an appointment. So I showered and was getting dressed and ready when the phone rang and it was Jeff. He said, "How's it goin? How's your birthday been?" I said, "Crappy (and told him about all the chores) ..."and he said that he had some good news that he was done hunting and had killed a deer a few minutes before. That was good news and it made me feel about 1% better. Pretty much by the end of the day every male in the neighborhood had come by and heard the story about the buck he shot and had gone through our house to see it hanging in the garage to cure. By 6:00 when Jeff told me that someone else was on his way to come see it, I let out a sigh and told him that I was happy for him to get the deer and was happy to have the meat and that he had a successful hunt after several dry years of not harvesting anything....HOWEVER, as far as birthdays go. Not the best. I don't like sounding selfish, but with the buildup of counting down since his birthday in June. It was a let down. Not all of that was due to Jeff and the events of the actual day. I have felt melancholy about turning 34 for several months since it is not as exciting as turning 33 (double numbers means double presents) and it really does feel older this time as opposed to last year and previous years. Truth be told (and some of you might fall over dead from this), but...I might be over the whole my-birthday-is-a-big-deal-national-holiday thing. From now on it might be a very covert operation with little fan fare. We'll see.

8 comments:

Laura said...

Sorry it wasn't so great! Hope you can make it up!

Kenny said...

Sorry your day didn't go so well, but you know that 35 will just be that much better. I think you should start the countdown to 35 today. I can't believe that you would give up on the whole big birthday celebrations after all those years of making us wait until December 4 to even start thinking about Christmas.

Abby said...

Okay- Tim and I are trying to do the blogging thing. Wish me luck- I hate computers.

Yeah- birthdays aren't as fun as they use to be. sux doesn't it? I gave up on expecting something big a long time ago. Guys just don't care.
Great job Jeff on the buck!! Tim and Dalton have been out a few times and --nothin! We need some meat, so I hope they get some.I wish gun season was longer than 1 week.
Anyway, I'll try to remember to keep up. I'm still learning how to do this.
See ya!
Abby

raedene said...

Hey you! Happy Late Birthday! :) You know... the more birthdays I have, the less I like them. I think I still expect to have a magical day, like when I was a kid, and it just doesn't happen anymore! :) Oh, well.... I hope the next day was better! You're so great! Love you tons!

Ruth said...

Happy Birthday Monica!

Sarah said...

I'll believe the no big deal thing when I see it, your birthdays have alwayd been a huge deal. Hello!! That's what makes Monica monica!!

Carrick family said...

Hey, Happy Belated birthday!! That sucks about your birthday but it will be made up soon!

Holly Child said...

Monica -- I'm so sorry I forgot to come over to your blog to wish you a Happy Birthday on the 3rd! How could I forget....I don't forget anyone's birthday! It's the old age...
Sorry to hear that it wasn't that great! Sounds alot like mine this past year! I was taking care of sick kids and crap too that day!
Anyway...HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, my friend! :o)